Anesthesia & Pain Management Tools
This page has been reviewed. All links are working properly as of 12/29/2018
Be sure to also check Anesthesia Guidelines as some of this information may overlap.
Anesthesia Conversion Factors, Base Units and more from CMS
2009 CVP "Cheat Sheet" for Anesthesia - Do you need central venous access codes for anesthesia? This version will tell you permacath, bard catheter, port-a-cath, etc. and associated radiology guidance CPT codes in a handy cheat sheet; created by Leslie Johnson, CPC.
2013 Nerves Chart - This is a "cheat sheet" that I created for nerve blocks with associated CPT coded. For use as a GUIDE only. iPACK, TAP blocks, Sphenoganglion blocks with Q-Tips and other blocks are discussed. Updated for 2013! Globals and bilateral indicators are included.
Post-op Pain Chart - based on the new NCCI guidelines effective Jan 1, 2013 (current, 2018)
ASA's Standards, Guidelines, Statements and Other Documents - all of them.
CMS Medicare Claims Processing Manual (Pub. 100-04), Chapter 12: This tells the Anesthesia concurrency modifiers (AA, QY, QK, QZ, etc.), discusses Teaching Anesthesiologists or CRNA, and more.
- Definitions of personally performed, medically directed, and medically supervised: section 50
- Definition of concurrent procedures: section 50J Anesthesia modifiers: section 50K
- Base units for anesthesia services: following section 50K: Exhibit 1
- Anesthesia and Teaching Facilities : section 100.1.2.A.4 CRNA Services: section 140
Epidurogram Checklist - from Leslie Johnson, CPC, this is an epidurogram documentation checklist set to AMA CPT Assistant standards. If it's in there, it's not just a fluoroscopic procedure. *Note* Info is still applicable in 2013
ICD-10 CM for the years from 2010 through 2019. When the zip file is downloaded, all the chapters of the ICD-10 CM will be included. The Official Guidelines for each of these years can be found here, as well.
Statement on Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE) from ASA. This contains the how, when and CPT codes for TEE, last updated 2015 but is still current.
- Not sure if this is fraudulent billing or where to find documentation stating it is August 12, 2020Is it illegal for a non medical transportation provider to bill medicaid for services that they were reimbursed for under a grant program from a mental health facility? I know this is a moral question and easy to respond with our moralistic believes, I am needing to find something in writing that states that it […]
- Finger Amputation August 12, 2020Dr. did a right small finger amputation and a amputation of left ring finger. I ran the code 26951 through claims scrubber and it says this code is only payble with 1 unit. I tried XS modifier and 50 modifier. What am I missing?
- OB patient with Medicare as primary August 12, 2020Hello All, looking for some insight-- we're having difficulty getting our OB related claims to Medicare paid-- in particular our OB patient had a 59025. Medicare is denying. Is there something I'm missing or some place I can go to for specific answer to Medicare OB billing? You're insight and expertise is appreciated. TIA
- Infratemporal space abscess? August 11, 2020I'm having a hard time settling on a code for this procedure. I&D of infratemporal space abscess via trans oral approach PT had dental extraction of right 2nd and 3rd molars. Later, presented to ED with facial swelling, CT showed abscess lateral to maxilla extending into infratemporal fossa. Incision was made through mucosa, and carried […]
- Atrial lead replacement August 11, 2020I see 33224 is replacement of a ventricular lead but i am not able to find anything for a replacement of an atrial lead. Doctor replaced atrial lead for an existing generator (ICD) Is there somewhere im not looking or should know? Any help or info is greatly appreciated.
- Documentation Guideline 93010 August 11, 2020Does anyone have a CMS link on how to properly document the EKG read to support billing 93010 I saw some tips that there needs to be 3 elements documented when billing Medicare but cant find it Thanks!