Click the links below to find resources, regulations, tools.
- COVID-19 Coding Q&A: CPT®, HCPCS, and ICD-10-CM News for Coronavirus Coding March 12, 2020A lot of information is appearing very fast about COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019), and medical coders have the extra challenge of sorting through the onslaught to find the bits relevant to coding claims related to testing and treatment. This Q&A brings together the latest authoritative news about coding for COVID-19. Term tip: COVID-19, a […]
- 7 Top Tips for Mastering ICD-10-CM 7th Characters February 19, 2020Diagnosis coding brings the unique challenge of knowing when to use a 7th character on your ICD-10-CM code and then determining which character applies. These tips will help you refine your diagnosis coding skills. Tip 1: Don’t Ignore 7th Character Requirements If ICD-10-CM indicates a code requires a 7th character, you must report a seven-character […]
- GI Coding: Why Is Modifier 53 on the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule? January 30, 2020The Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) includes special pricing for four colonoscopy codes when you append modifier 53 (Discontinued procedure). Here’s what you need to know about appending modifier 53 to these codes and the payment you can expect. Compare Rates for Total and Discontinued Colonoscopies Below are the four codes on the 2020 first […]
- Use New Vaping ICD-10-CM Code U07.0 Starting April 1, 2020 January 27, 2020Diagnosis coding for vaping-related disorders has been a hot topic lately. It’s so hot, that you’re getting a new ICD-10-CM code to be implemented on the unusual date of April 1, 2020, instead of with the usual Oct. 1 update. Start preparing with these tips. Where Can You Find a U Code in ICD-10-CM? Let’s […]
- Your Step-by-Step Guide to ICD-10-CM Coding of Orbital Fractures January 16, 2020ICD-10-CM 2020 added dozens of new codes for orbital fractures, which are breaks in the bones surrounding the eye. To help you get to the correct code faster, follow these steps for orbital fracture coding. 1. Check the Orbital Fracture Location Your new ICD-10-CM 2020 options for orbital fractures allows you to identify the location […]
- E/M 2021: Grasp the Future Roles of Time and MDM for Accurate Coding January 13, 2020Evaluation and management (E/M) code descriptors for office and other outpatient visits will look a lot different in the 2021 CPT® code set. One of the first steps in preparing for this major overhaul is understanding how medical decision making (MDM) and time will affect 99202-99215 in 2021. Quick background: The American Medical Association (AMA), […]